Sunday, November 8, 2009

Here’s a chopped salad guaranteed to deliver on taste and presentation!


Posted by Lyndi

Have I ever mentioned how much I love Cook’s Illustrated.com? I have yet to be disappointed by any of their recipes. In fact, they are teaching me how to cook! Love, love, love them.

I’m a late-bloomer of sorts in the cooking field: always stuck to my few (simple) favorites when making dinner (read: omelets and potatoes), used cooking bags for roasts and turkeys since it was fail proof (read: not very tasty, yet easy) and relied heavily on eating out (read: often.) Okay, I still rely on the last one.

So, I tried out a new recipe from Cook’s Illustrated that is marvelous that I just have to share! I made it recently at my mother-in-law’s home and the entire family loved it. The recipe says it serves four but it fed the six of us just fine (and we are big eaters).

Enjoy! Let me know how it worked out!

Mediterranean Chopped Salad
Serves 4 as a light entrée and 6 as a side dish (this is what we did).

Ingredients
1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into ½-inch dice (about 1 ¼ cups) (I used 2 cucumbers)
1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered (about 1 ½ cups)
Table salt
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 medium garlic clove, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1 teaspoon) (I used the minced garlic in the jar)
1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (aka garbanzo beans)
½ cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
½ cup small minced red onion (about ¼ cup)
½ cup roughly chopped fresh parsley (I forgot to add this so I can’t vouch for the taste addition)
1 romaine heart, cut into ½ inch pieces (about 3 cups)
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbed (about 1 cup)
Ground black pepper

Instructions
1. Combine cucumber, tomatoes, and 1 teaspoon salt in colander set over bowl and let stand 15 minutes.
2. Whisk oil, vinegar, and garlic together in large bowl. Add drained cucumber and tomatoes, chickpeas, olives, onion, and parlsey; toss and let stand at room temperature to blend flavors, 5 minutes.
3. Add romaine and feta; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
4. Sit back and soak in the praises of your fellow diners (okay, I added this step!).

Published July 1, 2009. From Cook’s Illustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...